Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trauma by region

I was reminded yesterday, as I cared for a patient hit by a surfboard, that you don't see this kind of trauma everywhere. Beach trauma is only relevant to certain regions. Although obvious, I guess most of us don't really think about the regional trauma you'll get when picking a trauma job. Going into trauma I expected car crashes, gunshots, assaults (which of course I do see plenty of), but living on the coast brings an additional group that I realize not every trauma center will see. On the other hand, my friend's sister works in trauma in a rural region, and sees things I never would: animal attacks, snowmobile crashes, and even falls in wells. Other locations can see farming accidents and bull riding accidents and south sees border-related trauma (often injuries from jumping the border). I love working in trauma and personally I think the beach-related injuries are an interesting change. But I think it is interesting that a group of people all trained and ready to go out into the trauma world may end up really seeing some different cases depending on where they decided to work. I did all my training in ER/Trauma at a school not near a beach so getting a surfing accident was new when I moved. But does that matter? No. Ultimately trauma is trauma, and really regardless of mechanism, you approach it in the same fashion and with the same protocols. But for those of you new to trauma, or considering entering trauma, this may be an aspect you haven't really thought about- just as I hadn't. Realistically, I think just about any trauma center you go to will have motor vehicle crashes (and motorcycles) and falls, and sadly I bet assaults. But there will also be traumas that are unique to your location, which may actually be the ones that you find extraordinary and make you truly connected to your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment