Monday, November 1, 2010

Half-way there

Yes, I'm back. So the semester is just plugging along and I'm now over the half-way point in the semester. At some moments it has seemed agonizingly slow, and other moments I can't believe how fast it's going. I hope the latter remains true for the entire program!

So what have I learned? What pearls of wisdom can I share with you? Hum...well, truthfully I don't think you'll find them any bit interesting. So instead of content, we'll talk big picture. I do think I am starting to get the hang of the PhD-way-of-thinking. It's a slow process, granted, but I think it is starting to come together.

It's funny though, because professors will ask, "How does this tie into your own area of interest for research?" But most of the time I think they keep you so busy there's barely any time to consider how this abstract thought relates to trauma. It's actually all the quantitative work that I like the best. All this foo-foo abstract philosophy business just doesn't move me.

But the good news is I hear the first year is the worst. Actually, I've even heard it starts to get better by second semester. It sounds like the general process is you start the program with the most abstract content and then it continues to narrow down to more concrete information as you move along. Boy , I can not wait for concrete! I think acute care people in general don't live, nor want to, in some nebulous world. So, I will continue to keep you posted. Here's hoping the fog clears soon!

1 comment:

  1. Just keep on going - you'll fall into a rhythm and be able to get a grasp on things. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete