Wednesday, November 18, 2009

NPs in ED


I just read a journal article that came out recently on patients' thoughts about being treated by an NP in the ED. They surveyed 190 patients being seen in the fast track area of the ED asking about 8 questions, with the crux of the questionnaire essentially being "Would you be willing to be treated by a nurse practitioner today?" I found the results interesting. Albeit the majority, 65% said yes (17% were unsure and 17% said no). To me, this is lower than I would like to see it and I think it stresses the fact that people need further education on the NP role.

Also, 56% stated they had previously been treated by an NP (with 22% saying no and 21% unsure). I would venture to say some of the patients that fell into the "no" or "unsure" category have actually been seen by an NP before. Quite often I am referred to as "doctor" even after I've introduced myself as a nurse practitioner. I can continue to repeat myself, and some folks will still stick with "doctor." Eventually I give up because ultimately it doesn't really matter; care and treatment will proceed the same regardless.

Perhaps I used to also be guilty of no delineation. Back when I worked in the ER as an RN I used to say, "...blah, blah, blah...the doctor will be in to see you." We had physicians, PAs, and NPs working in that ED so it really could be any one of them, but I generally didn't know which one would get that patient. So unless stated by the provider, it is largely assumed to be a physician.

I think this study really pointed out some things most of us already notice in practice. Since I noticed this knowledge gap, I have made great efforts in educating my patients, and others in general, about NPs and the role. Hence, the development of the www.worldofnursepractitioners.com website. The observation was actually the impetus behind that website, but of course it still takes many, many more health care workers educating patients/public.

By the way, the article is "A Patient Survey on Emergency Department Use of Nurse Practitioners" in Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment