Monday, November 30, 2009

Tis the season... for ATV crashes


I see it has turned into ATV season again. We are seeing more ATV crash injuries coming into the hospital now that the weather has cooled off in the desert. Half of the trauma service is now ATV crashes. And as if riding an ATV weren't dangerous enough, people seem to invariably come in with an alcohol level and/or positive toxicology.

I suppose I can understand 20 or 30-somethings riding ATVs (sober, of course), but 80 year olds? Really? What's with the elderly riding ATVs? We even had a 92 year old. They seem to say, "Well, I've been riding ATVs for years. This has never happened." I'm all for being active in your old age, but I at some point you might need to re-evaluate your "activities."

I see ATV crashes commonly result in spine fractures. Head injuries are seen as well. And that is in younger folks. All of elderly that have come in lately did have spine fractures and and one with significant pelvic fractures also.

The hard part about elderly being injured with pelvic or back fractures is the toll immobility takes. When younger people are laying flat in bed for days waiting for a back brace and/or surgery, they can recover physical strength faster. Elderly lose their strength quickly and get it back slowly. This often results in a discharge to a skilled nursing facility, which doesn't always have the best rehab outcomes.

Personally, I've seen far too many devastating injuries from ATVs and would recommend just staying away from them. Since I know not everyone will, I then recommend being smart about it:

1. Don't drink or do drugs (ever, really, but in this case when planning on riding an ATV)
2. If you are over 55 years of age really consider it a sport not for you anymore (or maybe over 60 if you are really fit and super cautious)
3. Wear a helmet
4. Don't ride around like a maniac- use common sense.

I suppose if you stick to those recommendations you should fair much better than the people I see in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment