Wednesday, November 11, 2009

PhD


Oh dear, I've let time pass again. My apologies. I had been consumed by yet another standardized test in my life. But it is now behind me and I can move forward again.

As you might remember, I mentioned my debate about returning to school for a PhD. Well, the process is in full swing now. And through the process I have decided to open the application process to several schools, not just my alma mater. I think this is a wise decision. But, of course, for every school added, I see the amount of work to do multiply exponentially. I still think it's smart to cast a broader net, at least for comparison.

Part of the process is deciding what I really want to study for the next 4+ years. Trauma, of course, no doubt about that part. But I love so many things about trauma it's about committing to one aspect of trauma that I will want to research until I'm blue in the face. It appears things are settling down to two main camps: trauma in the elderly vs. violence (esp. intimate partner). My particular interest is in prevention and I am on the hunt for the right faculty to work with.

Right now each school is on it's own pace. While I am just starting to communicate with some schools, others are approaching their deadline as I type. The first application is due at the end of this month. I actually find this an exciting time. I will be sure to add updates about my progress intermingled in my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment